Sunday, June 27, 2004

Emotional and Physical Intimacy

I've heard many women and some men say that they must be in love before they feel comfortable with physical intimacy. In other words, when they finally have sex with someone, it is symbolic of how they feel about the other person. Such people more readily express their feelings, but are highly selective with whom they share their bodies. Physical intimacy follows emotional intimacy.

As for me, I've always freely shared my body without it necessarily being freighted with any deep emotions beyond sheer chemistry. However, I am much more reserved about whom I share my innermost thoughts and feelings. I don't expect to fall in love with everyone I have sex with, nor do I expect them to fall in love with me. Most of the time, it's simply meeting a basic need.

I'm someone who believes that talk is, indeed, cheap. I'm not going to tell someone I love them if I don't, even if I want to have sex with them. When I say the words, I mean them. The sex doesn't happen as a result of love; rather, in the rare instance that love happens, it arises independently of the sex, even though the end result may be to make the sex even better.

______________________

"Thy body is all vice, thy mind is all virtue" -- Unknown

No comments: