Saturday, July 17, 2004

Liberal, Libertarian, Libertine

Recently, I was browsing messages at one of the many message boards I belong to. The current discussion centered on how members might classify themselves according to their political beliefs. Though most gave the standard answers of liberal or conservative, Republican or Democrat, and the like, several members asserted that it wasn't quite that simple and that many people don't neatly fall into any category, but tend to be a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Finally one poster gave the address of a website with a test that would gauge one's political beliefs reflecting a wider frame of reference:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

I took the test and I, unsurprisingly, scored Libertarian Left; that is, a liberal libertarian. Added to the consideration that I am a sexual libertine, I've decided to tell people that I am a Liberal Libertarian Libertine the next time someone asks my political beliefs.

Liberal: As in open minded, tolerant, and progressive

Libertarian: As in my private life is not the government's business; "Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do"

Libertine: As in a sexually unrestrained attitude and lifestyle

Granted, such a designation will keep me off nearly everyone's PC list, right and left, but I'm thinking that's not necessarily a bad place to be.

1 comment:

Byron Derrick said...

You might find this essay of interest. I posted it almost two years ago... http://byronderrick.blogspot.com/2010/11/liberal-libertarian-libertine-and.html