Sunday, December 19, 2004

Say What?

Has anyone ever made up their own words and expressions? Your own version of “thingamajig”? Usually such coinages happen spontaneously, without plan, but somehow, they catch on and you find yourself using these “words” and expressions often.

Here are a few of my own.

“Slitchy”

Slitchy is how the road gets after it has been raining long enough so that the road is completely wet. This word was inspired by the sound cars make when driving on such a wet surface….a “slitching” sound.

“Frap”

This one was suggested by the sound of groceries dumping themselves out of the bag and all over the floorboard of your car as you make a sharp turn. Frap started out as “frapita-dap”, as that most closely resembles the sound of the groceries hurling themselves to the floorboard. Frap is meant to refer to things falling, usually multiple items that go all over the place and make a big mess, or that roll to spots hard to access. Frap does not refer to dropping things, but only to things that fall by themselves with no human intervention.

“Froodie-Do”

Froodie-Do is the ultimate bad hair day. It can refer to windblown hair, unmanageable hair, or a deliberately messy, big hair hairstyle.

As well as my own made-up words, I have a few of my own expressions, though I don’t use these all that often:

Morning Warning

That is my term for an alarm clock. I hate getting up early, and I hate alarm clocks. Being startled awake isn’t my idea of a good way to start the day.

Chicken Abortions

Otherwise known as eggs. I don’t particularly like eggs, so this is my unappetizing expression for them.

Pizza bone

The crust on a pizza. Sometimes I eat the pizza bone, sometimes not.

Feel free to list any made up words and expressions of your own in your comments.

No comments: