Monday, May 2, 2005

Happily Ever After?

Ok, I'm probably going to get hammered on this one, but here goes.

As I was browsing the news outlets on the net the other day, I came upon a story about Mary Kay Letourneau's upcoming wedding to Vili Fualaau later this spring. For those who might not recognize these names, Letourneau was the elementary school teacher convicted of statutory rape for instigating a sexual relationship with Fualaau when he was a 12 year old student in her class.

While serving in the criminal justice system, she bore Fualaau two daughters, the second conceived in a parked car shortly after being released from prison for good behavior, which broke the terms of her probation. She was sent back to prison where she served out the rest of a seven and a half year sentence.

When she was released after completing her sentence this past August, the judicial ban on her having any contact with Fualaau was still in effect. Fualaau, now 22, petitioned to have this ban rescinded, as he was now a grown man no longer needing the protection that would be necessary for a child. The petition was granted and he and Letourneau immediately resumed their relationship where it left off. Not too long after that, they were engaged and they plan to be married later this month.

I wish them the best of luck, because they're going to need it and it can only benefit their innocent daughters if things go well for them.

That being said, how their relationship began still remains a jaw-dropping thing, something utterly unimaginable and inconceivable. Be that as it may, she has served her time and has paid her debt to society. And this relationship has survived the test of time and many adversities. I think they should be left alone to start the life they've chosen together.

Thoughts?
_______________

I have followed this case with interest over the years. This is because my first lover, when I was fifteen, was a woman twenty years my senior. This affair lasted an entire summer, when I was taught everything about sex from A to Z. I do not believe that I was harmed by this experience and I don't regret any of it for a moment. No doubt my own experience has affected and colored how I feel about this case to some extent, though it differs from this case on several key points.

No comments: