Saturday, May 28, 2005

Predator


After adding a new entry to my NC17 blog a few days ago, I checked comments on a few previous entries. I found one rather interesting and amusing comment.

This one individual had started reading this blog and had apparently found her way over to the other blog. After reading several posts over there, she left a comment telling me that after reading, she’d decided that I was not merely an “honest, unapologetic libertine”, but rather, that I was a “predator”.

Far from being insulted, as I'm sure was her intention, I was rather turned on by it, imagining myself a mountain lion stalking through the hills seeking a new mate.

When I mentioned this comment to another blogger in an email, he said, “Though I'm sure she pictured you stalking some hapless gazelle for the kill instead. But since you're upfront and honest about what you are and aren't looking for, your metaphor of a mate is more accurate. Seek, "mate" (thankfully, we have contraceptives!), move on. I suppose you get that sort of knee-jerk reaction a fair bit, though, eh?"

Yes, I’m well used to knee-jerk reactions by now. Many people don’t quite know how to react to me, as my lifestyle blatantly violates some of society’s most sacred of cows. But on a fairly regular basis, I encounter those who are at first shocked by me, though they’re also fascinated at the same time. And a good bit of the time, this fascination overrides the initial shock.

When I first read the comment on the other blog, I was planning to leave it there, and simply ignore it. Later, however, I went back and responded:

“Thank you -- I'll take that as a *compliment*. Usually, I get called a *bastard*…”

I couldn’t resist, hehehehehe.

No comments: