Friday, June 10, 2005

Single. Adult.

When I was thirty-five, one of my cousins, who is four years older than me, threw a big Christmas party for the entire family. I'd not intended to go, as I have nothing in common with my father's side of the family and I especially disliked this particular cousin.

However, my father really wanted me to go, saying it would mean a lot to my son if I went. My father never asked much of me, so I decided to honor his wishes, to grin and bear it for one night.

My son and I drove up to my cousin's house, meeting my father and his wife there. I didn't bring a "date" with me, as was my habit on the rare occasions I attended family gatherings. Considering what happened next, I'm thinking I should have brought an entourage of lovers with me.

But I digress.

After enduring a few awkward moments engaged in small talk with my relatives, it was time for dinner. My cousin had put place cards by each seat, and, to my dismay, I found that I'd been seated at the children's table, the only adult to have been assigned thus.

I was thirty-five with a son who was then twelve years old. I'd say that qualified me as being an adult, regardless of my marital status. I had to wonder if she did this simply because I was unmarried or because she just didn't approve of me? I never knew, exactly.

I left immediately, after asking my father to bring my son to the house when he went home. I went to a lover's house and got laid, which is what I really wanted to do in the first place, anyway.

I've never spoken to that cousin again, nor have I attended any family gatherings since that time.

No comments: