Monday, July 25, 2005

God Said It, I Believe It, That Settles It! Yeah....Right!

The other night, I was discussing the new Harry Potter book with another guy at work. At that point, neither of us had finished it, and we were each speculating how we thought it would end.

It wasn't long before the two resident fundamentalists butted into our conversation. One said that that the books were eeeeeeeevil and the other asserted that "Harry Potter promotes Satanism".

I turned to the second and asked, "Have you read the books?" He said that he hadn't, but he didn't need to read them to know that, because his pastor had already told him they were evil.

Rolling my eyes heavenward, I said, "If you haven't read them yourself, then you don't have a valid opinion." The other guy tried to persuade them, but I told him not to bother, as you can't deal with willful ignorance.

To the other fundamentalist, I said, "Do you have so little faith in your own faith that you believe it would be destroyed simply by being exposed to different ideas?" Needless to say, he didn't have an answer for me.

Thoughts?

No comments: