Thursday, September 29, 2005

Gas Prices


While out driving last night, I noticed that gas prices had jumped dramatically in town, but prices were still at pre-Rita levels in the outlying areas. I made a mental note to gas up before going home for the night.

After thinking about gas prices, I noticed all the oversize vehicles (SUVs, vans, and large pickup trucks) driving around me, and I imagined what they had to pay every time they filled up. Idly, I decided to perform an informal survey, by randomly counting ten vehicles and comparing the ratio of oversize vehicles to cars. I did this several times in different parts of town. Each time, the count was nearly identical: in my town, seven out of ten vehicles are oversize vehicles.

I wonder if that ratio will be the same this time next year?

I personally know people who have unloaded their behemoths in favor of smaller vehicles, and others who are seeking to. The local car dealerships are all offering big sales on such vehicles, desperately trying to get rid of them in any way possible.

Personally, I'd rather see the gas prices go down and these people get to keep their tanks, but somehow, I don't think it will work out that way.

No comments: