Thursday, October 20, 2005

So THAT'S Why We've Had So Many Hurricanes This Year!

While at work today, I made the mistake of commenting to one of our resident fundies that I hoped that Hurricane Wilma would not do much damage.

Big mistake.

It was almost like pulling a cork, because this innocent remark set off an irrational fundie rant. He said that God is angry with humanity, and that's why we're getting all the bad weather. He went on say that this anger was because of our "immorality" and how we've turned away from the intentions of the Founding Fathers, who designed the USA to be "under God". Never mind that this didn't go into the Pledge of Allegiance until 1954, or that the separation of church and state was established by these same founders.

He insisted that the bad weather was a "warning" from God to straighten up or else we'd end up like Sodom and Gomorrah. A member of his church had made the comment that Bourbon St in New Orleans was spared -- apparantly a symbol of debauchery to these fundies -- but he gleefully said he told the other man that "God wasn't done yet".

He also told me that I ought to turn away from my "life of sin" before it was too late.

I didn't say much -- I knew it would be a pointless endeavor. He'd never accept that perhaps all these hurricanes are a symptom of global warming and that we've brought it on ourselves through years of polluting the environment and conspicuous consumerism, not as punishment for having too good of a time in our lives.

Nor did I mention I wanted no part of a petulant, angry God who would wipe out the lives of thousands of people, innocent children and all. None of that would have mattered a whit to him. His mind was made up and he wasn't about to let it be clarified by logic.

Thoughts?

No comments: