Thursday, October 6, 2005

Tattoos and Trashiness

I recently read another blog that had an entry about tattoos. This blogger's emphasis was on tattoos in the workplace. He went on to say how he personally found them unattractive and unprofessional, that their acceptance in the workplace was an indication that the business world is going to hell in a handbasket!

He added that he especially found them offensive on women, and that it implied trashiness in said tattooed women and that he'd never date such a woman. These remarks were made completely unconscious to the glaring double standard it implies.

As far as the business world goes, if it's going to hell in a handbasket, I'm sure it's not because of trivial and superficial matters of image. It will be because of important substantial matters: shady business dealings a la Enron and the like. Business would be in GREAT shape if all they had to worry about were trivial image concerns.

It might surprise this blogger, but I don't particuarly like tattoos or find them attractive myself. On men or women; I'm not prejudiced. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and all that, you know.

However, I'd not let something like the presence of tattoos stop me from seeing a woman I found otherwise interesting and attractive. It would just be something I'd ignore, like a mole. No one is perfect in this world, and those of us who are successful with members of the preferred gender accept that there are quite a few inconsequential things about people we should overlook. Being too picky would mean losing out on knowing a lot of very nice people.

But the blogger said that decent men would not date a woman with tattoos. That must be it.

No one has ever accused me of being a "decent man" and I hope they never do.

No comments: