Friday, December 23, 2005

Talking to Strangers

Despite the fact that I've always tested as slightly introverted on the Myers-Briggs personality test (INTP), I'm not the least bit shy about striking up conversations with strangers when out in public. And I've been this way since I was a kid.

I come by it honestly, my mother was always talkative, as I remember. My father was more reticent when I was growing up, but once he retired, he became more gregarious and talked to people wherever he went.

I most commonly talk to strangers in waiting situations: in line at the grocery store, sitting in a doctor's waiting room, etc. Indeed, I met my current primary lover when we were both waiting in a long line at the supermarket, and she's not the only lover I've met similarly.

Quite often, I also talk to people in bookstores, at the flea market, and in other places where a common interest provides an excuse to start a conversation. Though this type of venue has also generated new lovers, it's also made me new platonic friends as well.

About ninety-five percent of the strangers I strike up conversations with will respond politely, though most conversations do not result in further interaction later on.
Even if nothing comes of these conversations, it's at least a pleasant way to pass time.

However, about five percent of those I attempt talking with will totally ignore my efforts at friendliness, though I'm certain they can hear me. Some will even look at me as if I'm crazy for trying to talk to a person I don't know, and will doggedly refuse to speak.

Apparently, these people went overboard when obeying their parents' admonition not to talk to strangers so many years ago. A few times, I've gotten exasperated and said in a sarcastic tone of voice, "Your mama taught you not to talk to strangers, didn't she?"

And, even then, they don't respond. It makes me wonder how such people make new friends, if they won't allow themselves to talk to strangers.

Thoughts?

No comments: