Saturday, January 28, 2006

People Have Always Been Pretty Much the Same

Many young people have the curious idea that people years ago, at least before the 1960s, were good all the time; that they spent their entire lives working hard and sitting in church, never thinking about sex or any other kind of fun and that everyone was gosh golly shucks wholesome. Some teens and those in their early 20s act as if sex and other types of fun were invented by their generation.

And this brings me to a story my aunt told me about something she and my mother did back when they were teens.

Shortly after my parents got married in 1942, my aunt, two years younger than my parents, came north to spend the summer with my mother while both their men were away fighting the war. They both got jobs as clerks in a photography store, with part of their job involving developing pictures.

One day, business was slow and they were bored, so they got the bright idea to take photos of each other's naked "female anatomy", then to develop the pictures themselves! My aunt was in her seventies when she told me what they'd done, and I have to admit that I had a hard time imagining my fundamentalist aunt ever having that kind of fun. However, I could easily imagine my mother doing it, getting a kick out of being so "naughty".

It just goes to show that no matter the times, people have always been pretty much the same.

Thoughts?

No comments: