Thursday, February 9, 2006

Daydreams

Like many people, I daydream a good bit, especially when I'm doing something that's boring or when I'm in a waiting mode.

Not surprisingly, the subject of my daydreaming is most often about sex; who I've been with, who I'm going to be with, who I want to be with, and those whom I'll never be with.

But you all knew that, so the focus of this entry will not be about my sexual fantasies. Rather, I'll tell you some of my less typical daydreams.

When driving my car, I frequently listen carefully to the music that's on the radio and with each song, I imagine how people from various time periods would think of it. I consider if they'd like the tune itself, but more often, I think of how much of the lyrics would make sense to them. Many songs, of course, do not pass the time test, talking about cars, phones, and other modern technology and, of course, much of the slang would be incomprehensible. Fairly often, however, I find a song where all, or nearly all the words, could be understood by someone two hundred years ago, even if the music seemed odd to them.

Most of the time, I imagine how an average person from various times in history would view the music, but other times, I wonder what Beethoven, Mozart, etc would think of certain songs. I'm guessing they'd not like it, taken as a whole, but I'm thinking they'd like certain elements. Probably they'd like being able to compose for modern musical instruments.

Another related daydream is to carefully note my surroundings as I'm driving along and wonder what these same people would think of that. Naturally, the technology would catch their eyes first, amazing them. I'd wonder if the actual "future" would match what they'd imagine it would be. Of course, there would be other things they'd be disappointed in; the pollution, the crowding, etc.

I also wonder how long it would take my mother to realize she was 35 years in the future, if she were suddenly plopped down next to me. Of course, the cars would be a dead giveaway, but I'm thinking if she were to appear in a spot where no cars were visible; somewhere inside, perhaps a store or a restaurant. Then I think of what she'd notice first

Another daydream is to imagine that I'm invisible and of how I'd add various items of clothing to make myself visible. I'd start with very long socks, continue to a long sleeved turtleneck, pants, shoes, gloves, a long haired wig, huge sunglasses, fake beard and mustache, colored contact lenses. I'd probably have to resort to makeup to make the rest of my face visible, however, as that would likely be more practical than wearing a ski mask.

All of these daydreams, I've also used as insomnia remedies when the need has arisen.

What are some of your favorite daydreams, besides the usual sexual ones?

No comments: