Monday, February 20, 2006

Stupid Store Policy

This evening, I went to the bookstore to browse around awhile. I'd not been in some time and I'd gotten an email from the bookstore, advising me of a 30% off sale for President's Day for all those who had bought the store's discount cards, which was enough of an incentive to get me in there.

I looked around a bit and finally found something I wanted to read. When I brought it to the register, I reminded the cashier of the sale. She said I would have had to have printed out a copy of the email with a coupon on it in order to get the sale.

I told her I didn't have a working printer, and that there was no way I'd have known about the sale if I'd not actually gotten the email, as there were no signs in the store advertising it. She called the manager and he said I needed the computer-printed coupon in order to get the sale.

I said that they used to send out snail mail coupons but I'd not been getting them for some time. The manager affirmed what I said, saying the company has discontinued sending the postal mail coupons.

I countered that not everyone with a store discount card has a computer and not all those with computers have printers, and that there was no point in sending emails notifying of sales, if the sales were not available to everyone who had a discount card. I added that discontinuing the postal mail coupons was fixing a problem that wasn't broken and that they should resume the practice or at least allow customers to choose the option of either email or snail mail coupons when they bought their discount cards.

The manager conceded my point and allowed me to get the book at the sale price, but I could tell he wasn't happy about it.

Thoughts?

No comments: