Saturday, June 3, 2006

Comments on Quotes


Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature.
-- Tom Robbins


Conformity and conventional thinking only serves to maintain the status quo.

Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.
-- Christopher Morley


Similar to the quote above. Unanimity is stagnation.

It is a curious truth that many cats enjoy warmer, more convivial, even affectionate relationships with humans than they could ever do with fellow felines.
-- Bruce Fogle, DVM, "The Cat's Mind", 1991


This is certainly true of my cats. They both like me and my son much better than they like each other.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759


Hear that, George Bush and Homeland Security?

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
-- Walter Lippmann


The capacity for original thought is one of the big things that separates us from the lower animals.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.
-- Abraham Lincoln


I seem to be a nice mix of both.

When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'
--Don Marquis


Those who do most of the work, tend to get the least of the credit.

All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.
--Aristotle


The more time I have to spend on my job, the more it invades my mind and saps my energy for doing the things that really matter to me.

No comments: