Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Hoooooold It!

My uncle, my mother's youngest brother, was born when she was twenty years old and already married to my father. He and my brother are only one year apart in age.

When my brother started kindergarten, he went to the same school where our uncle would be starting the first grade. The school was in the neighborhood they both lived in, so they walked to school.

My brother was apprehensive, to say the least, about starting school, and being away from his parents for so many hours in a day. But he went to school because he had to and tried to make the best of it.

He managed fairly well until he realized he had to go to the bathroom; he needed to go number two. He'd been in the bathrooms once before and had been frightened by the loud noise the school toilets made when being flushed. Not wanting to deal with that, he decided to simply hold it until he got home.

But he wasn't able to do so, and rather than face the loud toilets, he messed his pants. My uncle was called out of his first grade class to walk my brother home to get cleaned up.

I can remember my mother telling me this story, laughing her ass off, remembering how funny it looked when my brother got home, walking all spraddle-legged, with the load in his pants swaying back and forth as he walked.

Glad I never did anything like that.

No comments: