Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Request I Will Not Fulfill

I've been seeing the woman who is my primary lover for nearly two years now. She knows how I live my life, and she accepts that. However, in recent months, she's expressed the desire to have a baby, despite knowing that I have absolutely no desire to marry or raise children again.

She says she understands this, and wants to do so anyhow as a single mother, willing to take full custody and responsibility.

As much as I'd like to give her what she wants, I know that being a single parent is more than she imagines it would be. And no matter how sincere her vow not to make me financially responsible, I'm not at all sure she might not change her mind once she'd see how hard it is raising a kid on your own, and if she did so, the government would stand firmly behind her to enforce support from me, no matter what she and I agreed to privately.

Thoughts?

No comments: