Saturday, September 16, 2006

Friends

I'm not a backslapping, "one of the guys" type. I can't say that I have any friends of my own sex with whom I hang out or do things with. I had friends when I was growing up like most people do, but once I reached adulthood, I drifted away from hanging out with other guys.

I'm guessing there are several reasons for this. As my friends all got married and domesticated, one by one, I no longer fit into their lives. When some of their new wives tried to fix me up with their single friends, to try to get me to hop on the monogamy bandwagon, I'd drift away of my own accord.

And, of course, some of these guys, knowing my penchant for tomcatting, didn't want me around once they got married, for fear I'd seduce their wives. Smart men, as that's exactly what I'd do given the opportunity -- and did several times. My loyalties were and always have been to my own desires, first and foremost.

Another reason is that it bores the hell out of me to be around a bunch of guys talking about sports. I can understand watching a ball game now and then, but I've never been a fanatic about it. I'd rather have a root canal than listen to someone go on and on analyzing a ball game down to the petty minutiae.

Despite the fact that I enjoy the company of others, especially the romantic attention of women, I'm still at base a very private person, and treasure my time to myself. My home is a haven from the world, where I go to get away from others to recharge and refresh. I sometimes spend the night with a lover, but I have no desire for a daily, domestic relationship with anyone. I enjoy the freedom to come and go as I please, beholden to no one.

Oddly enough, my nonsexual friendships are all online. I've made quite a few blogging friends at several sites, and there are several people that I chat with on a regular basis on Instant Messenger. I immensely enjoy chatting with various people about everything under the sun -- it's like a huge online bull session at times. The internet is a perfect venue for such friendships; I can find people to talk to 24 hours a day.

I'm satisfied with it -- lovers in real life, platonic friends online.

Thoughts?

No comments: