Friday, January 12, 2007

Quotes and Commentary


I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.
--James Baldwin


I think it's the duty of Americans who care about their country to speak up when the government isn't living up to the principles this country was founded on.

You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note.
--Doug Floyd


How boring it would be if everyone thought, looked and acted alike.

Fix the problem, not the blame.
--Japanese Proverb


Knowing whose fault a particular problem is does nothing to solve the problem.

Suppose we were able to share meanings freely without a compulsive urge to impose our view or conform to those of others and without distortion and self-deception. Would this not constitute a real revolution in culture?
--David Bohm

It's too bad that people of opposing political and religious viewpoints cannot learn this lesson.

He who is different from me does not impoverish me - he enriches me. Our unity is constituted in something higher than ourselves - in Man... For no man seeks to hear his own echo, or to find his reflection in the glass.
--Antoine De Saint-Exupery


I learn the most and my thinking is most improved by those with whom I disagree.

If man is to survive, he will have learned to take a delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a delight, part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear.
--Gene Roddenberry


Differences enhance, rather than detract from humanity

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly.
--Arnold Edinborough

A life without curiosity is essentially a barren one.

Those who restrain their desires, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
--William Blake


Restraining my desires would be like trying to keep a tornado from a trailer park.

Only the educated are free.
--Epictetus


Knowledge is power Those who would seek to control others would start by limiting their education.

Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive.
--Havelock Ellis


Love is to be freely given, not jealously hoarded.

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at 20 or 80. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
--Henry Ford


I hope never to be old.

Definition of Politics: "Poli" in latin meaning "many" and "tics" meaning "blood-sucking parasites."
--Anonymous


Isn't that the truth!

No comments: