Friday, February 2, 2007

Mayor Apologizes For Affair

During a news conference on Thursday, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, who is up for re-election in November, publicly apologized for having sex with his campaign manager's wife. Newsom called the affair a "lapse of judgment". The conference was prompted by the sudden resignation of the campaign manager the previous day.

"I want to make it clear that everything you've read is true and I'm deeply sorry about that," Newsom said. "I hurt someone I care deeply about, Alex Tourk and his family and friends, and that is something I'm deeply sad about and sorry for."

Yeah, right! He's making a public apology only because his campaign manager resigned under questionable circumstances and he's trying to do some damage control for his re-election. As one who has slept with many other men's wives and would do it again in a heartbeat, I seriously doubt he actually regrets having sex with her. What he really regrets is being caught.

If he really felt remorse and thought the relationship was a lapse in judgment, he'd have expressed his regrets privately to those involved, regardless of the other outside circumstances in his life. It's a private matter and not something he should have apologized to the public about.

If it were me, I'd openly admit to it, but I'd never apologize. I only apologize for things I honestly feel remorse for, and never simply because it's expected of me.

Thoughts?


No comments: