Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Lover or a Challenge?



"Your thorns are the best part of you." Marianne Moore


Part of my success with women is no doubt due to my "bad boy" aura. Most women say they want a stable, "good guy", family man type, and I suppose they do on most levels.

Yet, with many of the women I've been with, it's been like a moth to a flame for them. They want me precisely because I am none of those things. I'm a walk on the wild side, a bit of living dangerously for them.

I've been told many times that it is precisely my independence and that I live my life on my own terms was what attracted them to me. I tend to bring out the rebellious side in them.

As long as they accept me as I am and not try to get me into the cage of domesticity, all is copacetic. It's when they try to make an "urban renewal project" out of me, that I get balky.

I am a challenge to many women. Many women think I've simply not met the "right" woman yet. Several have thought that if they just "love me enough" that I'll want to settle down into monogamous domesticity like "everyone else".

But that's missing the point. If someone really loves me, they love me as I am. Life is not a romance novel and happily ever after cannot involve caging the wild animal in me, even if the cage is made out of gold.


Thoughts?

No comments: