Thursday, April 12, 2007

On Call?

Not long ago, when I was on my day off, my cell phone rang. I looked at the number calling and saw that it was coming from my place of employment. Because I am not paid to be "on call" and because my job is in no way an essential, critical position such as a doctor, nurse, and the like, I felt no guilt in ignoring the call. They don't pay me enough to give a shit to come in on my day off if they happen to be shorthanded. It was my day off and there was no way that work was going to intrude on my personal time.

I guard my time and my privacy carefully. My land line phone is never hooked up unless I am using it to initiate an outgoing call. I don't answer my cell phone unless I recognize the number and I want to speak to that person at that time. If I'm in bed for the night, taking a nap, or having sex, I'll even shut the cell phone off entirely, so I don't have to be annoyed by the incessant ringing. My phone has voice mail capability, so if something comes in that is important, I can return calls later on at my leisure if I so choose.

Before the advent of cell phones, if an employer happened to call someone who wasn't paid to be on call who wasn't home, they were just out of luck. I just make sure that this still holds true in my case. If I'm not scheduled, I'm not available. Period.

Thoughts?

No comments: