Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Quote From An Unlikely Source

"...sexual orgies eliminate social tensions and ought to be encouraged."
--Antonin Scalia


While surfing the net recently, I came upon this quote about group sex. It wouldn't have been a big deal if I
had been the one who said this, but coming from the mouth of ultra conservative Catholic Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, it raised quite a few eyebrows back in 2004 when he said this while giving a speech at Harvard University.

Scalia made this comment responding rhetorically to a question about how many people it takes to define an act as being group sex.

A couple of weeks before this, he made a similar comment when addressing a group at the Ethics and Public Policy Center in Washington, while making a point that it is not a judge's role to impose his or her moral judgments on citizens.

"Let me make it clear that the problem I am addressing is not the social evil of the judicial dispositions I have described. I accept, for the sake of argument, for example, that sexual orgies eliminate social tension and ought to be encouraged," Scalia said.

Scalia's comments might have been rhetorical, but my agreement with the comments are not. From my vast experience, I fully believe that the world would be a happier place if everyone got laid more often in a wide variety of ways. I also believe that sexual repression and excessive regulation of sexual behavior can be linked with a host of seemingly unrelated social ills.

Thoughts?

No comments: