Saturday, September 1, 2007

September Again

Despite the fact that the temperatures don't give much indication of it yet, fall is on the way. Though it's still hot, it's less intense, with daytime temps in the 80s, rather in the triple digits.

In the last couple of weeks, I've even seen some trees beginning to tentatively show fall colors, a yellow leaf here and there among a sea of green. In the weeks to come, the yellows, reds, and oranges will slowly overcome the green.

As is true every year during the change of seasons, the afternoon thunderstorm level has increased, which will eventually break the back of summer and will allow much-welcomed cooler fall temperatures to reappear.

The early morning sound of school buses passing my house and the return of football season as well as the appearance of winter clothing in the stores all make me happy, as they are signs that the barely-endured summer will soon be over. My energy level will soon pick up and my reversed-hibernation pattern will cease.

Even as a kid who liked summer because of the free time away from school and the opportunity to swim, I was glad to see the return of fall. Instead of spring, I always saw fall as a time of new beginnings: a new school year and the start of the holiday season (Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas)

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You already know that fall is my favorite time of year. The temperatures have been going down to around 55 at night here. It's been great, I've kept my windows open all night long. It really feels like fall in the mornings! It still warms up to around 80 or so during the day. Glad to hear that you're temps are cooling off a little bit as well.