Tuesday, August 2, 2005

Sexist?

All during the years I worked for the police department, the city would give every female employee a gift on Secretary's Day, regardless of what kind of job she held.

No one could understand why I thought this was sexist. I always maintained it was sexist towards both men and women.

I thought it was sexist to women because "female employee" is not synonymous with "secretary" or, for that matter, "subordinate position". Indeed, some of the women receiving gifts on Secretary's Day were department heads. I didn't see anything wrong with those in a secretarial job classification getting gifts on that day, but it was not Female Employee Day, so it was inappropriate to gift a gift to every female employee.

I thought it was sexist towards men, because no male employees were ever recognized in any way for simply performing their jobs, as the female employees were.

It would have been a better thing to have had an "Employee Appreciation Day" to remember everyone.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Patty said...

"Employee Appreciation Day" sounds good to me. And give ALL of the employees a little gift of some sort, even a certificate for one free meal at Mcdonalds or someplace fast and cheap.

ran38 said...

Yes, I agree, except for the McDonalds thing. Too much junk food and meat stinks.