Friday, December 28, 2007

Rant About Commercials

When I get home from work at night, I usually have the TV on in the background as I surf the net. Recently, there have been two commercials that annoy the crap out of me.

The first is a guy pushing a cash-back reward for bundling AT&T services. He asks various people how they intend to spend the money they've saved. One woman, with her husband standing by, says she wants to take salsa lessons. The husband says something like "I guess we're going to take salsa lessons". At this point, they start to dance and the moronic husband keeps on saying "Shake it up. Shake it up." in a near monotone. I don't know about you, but I'd like to shake that idiot right off a cliff.

The second stupid commercial for KFC's "Festive Feast" promotion. Well, duh...what else would a feast be but festive?? I think KFC badly needs to hire a new ad agency to handle their advertising if the best word they could come up with to describe a feast was "festive". Talk about stating the obvious -- it would be like running an ad for Sunkist oranges that point out the fact that oranges are orange.

The talk radio station I listen to has been providing its share of annoyances as well. This station has a bad habit of playing two different commercial tracks simultaneously. I've witnessed this happening quite a few times and I can't help but think they're doing it on purpose -- how could something like this happen on a regular basis "by accident".

The station also runs homemade commercials for local businesses and the woman they use for most of these commercials doesn't have a clue about diction or enunciation. I'm guessing she must be donating her time, because I can't imagine any radio station paying for that mush mouth.

Recently, she was on a commercial for a local company that sells carpet and hardwood floors. I have to grit my teeth every time she urges listeners to go down to their showroom to see the "harwood" floors. That's right; "harwood", with no "d" in the word hard. It makes me wonder that if she ever saw me in flagrante delicto, whether she would comment about my "har-on".

Thoughts?

No comments: