Friday, January 11, 2008

Obama and Kennedy

Though the primary season is upon us, I still haven't settled on a candidate. I know that I will vote for a Democrat, but beyond that, I have no clear preference.

As of this writing, it seems as if the Democrat nominee will be either Obama or Clinton, with Edwards, perhaps, as a longshot.

I've seen a few Obama commercials on TV lately and I've realized that he reminds me in some ways of JFK. He's young, he's relatively inexperienced, and he's got Kennedy's charisma.

Though I would prefer a candidate with more experience, if he is the nominee for the Democratic Party, I will vote for him, rather than voting for a more experienced Republican.

It's kind of like the comment that Harry Truman made during the 1960 election:

You and I are stuck with the necessity of taking the worst of two evils or none at all. So-I'm taking the immature Democrat as the best of the two. Nixon is impossible.

In other words, better a promising, though inexperienced Democrat than voting Republican.

Thoughts?

No comments: