Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Confession

Today, I thought I'd rattle down a bone from the skeletons in my closet.

Not too long ago, a young guy at work called me an "old has-been". Naturally, this pissed me off big time -- because as long as I can do what I want, then I'm an "is", not a "has-been". And "old" is a matter of perspective. Some people in their 20s might consider me "old", which, obviously, my primary lover does not. But to someone in their 80s, I'm just as young to them as a teenager would be to me.

I have to admit my first reaction was one of revenge. Particularly, I thought it would be a fine idea to find his girlfriend and seduce her -- "I'll show him who's old!". I knew that what I didn't have in raw youth, I most certainly had plenty of experience and finesse.

But then my conscience inconveniently kicked in. I thought that it's not her fault that her boyfriend is a pretentious jerk and that it would not be fair for me to use and then discard her simply for the sake of my own ego and to get revenge.

Did I say old? I meant mature.

But I have to admit that ten years ago, I wouldn't have stopped to think of the woman's feelings, but would have gone with my first instinct without a moment's hesitation.

Thoughts?

No comments: