Sunday, June 15, 2008

Beauty vs Attraction

On Alternet, I read an article, "What's So Great About Beauty" where the author takes the position:

From soap ads to elections, looking good is way overrated.


Naturally, I had to comment, which follows below:

As anyone here who has read my comments on Alternet for the last year or so knows, I'm a promiscuous male and I have no problem finding new partners.

I'd like to think I'm above average in looks, but my success isn't really because of that. Good looking people are a dime a dozen.

Rather, I don't limit myself to what my eyes see when I consider what I find attractive in a woman. I have five senses and I use all five when pursuing women, and I don't elevate what I see above what my other four senses experience.

To use an example, a woman can be gorgeous to the eyes, but if she opens her mouth and sounds like Fran Drescher or Janice from Friends, then it all goes out the window for me. I'd much rather have a woman with average to plain looks, but who possesses a sultry voice.

Ultimately, however, what turns me on about a woman is confidence; who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to go after it. A healthy libido and a positive attitude toward sex is also essential. And from sheer experience, I can tell you that "good looking" and "good at it" often do not come in the same package. And I'd much rather have the second than the first!

I think men that go solely by what they see are cheating themselves out of a lot of great women and shouldn't complain when they can't get a date.

No comments: