Saturday, March 7, 2009

Relationship ADD

The other day, I was visiting a lover I don't see all that regularly, and she told me that I have "Relationship ADD", because I flit from relationship to relationship, with little interest in settling down with one woman.

After I finished laughing my ass off, I conceded that she was probably right and that referring to my wandering ways as such was really rather clever.

I thought about it a little, and realized that one of the prime reasons I tend to move on from any particular relationship is boredom; once I've pretty well gotten all the mystery out of a particular relationship and my partner has become fairly predictable, my attention wanders and I lose interest. Rarely do my relationships break up because of anger or hard feelings; they die from lost interest and benign neglect.

And like those with ADD who jump from one thing to another, I've long been happy with having several lovers concurrently; when one gets boring, I go visit another, so I that I don't get terminally bored with any particular one permanently too soon.

Nevertheless, this type of ADD is one that I have no interest in "curing".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people are meant to roam. Others find a true love and nest for life. One size does not fit all. However, I am glad to be of a certain age and have no interest in romantic or sexual relationships.

Libertine said...

If I get to the point where I'm no longer interested in sex, that will be the same time they're shoveling the dirt down on my casket.