Tuesday, December 1, 2009

More Thoughts on Religion

The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way.
--Bertrand Russell


While trying to come up with something to write about today, I visited a quote site where I found the quote above. The first thing that popped into my mind was that of religion. Wars have been fought over differences of opinion about religion and evangelicals of different faiths, particularly Christianity, attempt to convert others to their faith, believing that uniformity of belief to be a worthy goal to strive for. Not merely content to share their beliefs with those who ask, some attempt to enforce their beliefs by changing laws to conform to such beliefs, while more extreme members of various religions will use literal force to impose their beliefs on others in what they believe is service to their faith.

In contrast, I read an entry on Wilford Tibbetts' blog today about the Amish. Unlike many religious people, whose faith is largely a matter of securing their ticket to heaven, for the Amish, their faith isn't merely a belief, it's a lifestyle. The Amish do not proselytize or spend a lot of time talking about their faith; they quietly live it, while content to allow their neighbors to live according to whatever beliefs they have. They are content to coexist peacefully with their neighbors with different beliefs and lifestyles and have no desire to impose their beliefs on others.

It's too bad that more religious people don't follow the example of the Amish.

1 comment:

Bare Knuckles said...

I've been guilty of doing just what you say about Christians; attempting to get them to believe what I believe. While my faith is very firm, I agree with you that we should let our lives be the testimony to others unless they come to us. Also, most of us don't understand our own Bible.

We tend to talk more, listen less and understand even less than that. The more I dig into my Bible, the more I see us doing things wrong and misrepresenting our God. What's in scripture and what so many of us act on are worlds apart. That's a true tragedy.