Monday, April 11, 2005

Odds and Ends

Why does the phone company find it necessary to wear your ears out by playing that earsplitting three toned shriek when you’ve “reached a number that is no longer in service”. What’s up with this -- does the phone company have an agreement with Beltone or something?

---------------

While out driving this evening, I saw that we had a crescent moon. As I looked up at it, I thought it looked like a huge fingernail clipping.

---------------

I’ve become curious as to the origin of a particular pronunciation; what kind of accent it reflects. I’ve recently heard “hurry”, pronounced as “Herrr- ree”, instead of as “Huh-ree”, and “courage” pronounced as “Kerrr-ridge”, instead of as “Kuh-ridge”. What is this -- a Midwestern accent?

---------------

On the to be read stack:

“The Fundamentals of Extremism: The Christian Right In America” by Kimberly Blaker. An expose of the Christian Right. I’m in the middle of reading it now. It’s a little over the top in stressing some points, but most of it is right-on.

“The Happy Hookup” by Alexa Sherman and Nicole Tocantins. A how-to guide book for female libertines. I saw this and had to read it to see how it works from the other side. Haven’t started on it yet.

---------------

Charles and Camilla are finally wed. I read that there were people who actually filed formal objections to their marriage. The world seems to have an endless supply of people who need to learn to mind their own business and get a life.

No comments: