Saturday, November 5, 2005

Circumcision


About a week ago, I read a thread about male circumcision on Longrider's News and Views message board. When I found this thread, the consensus was that circumcision was barbaric practice, a form of mutilation, butchery even.

Though I respected their opinion, I was baffled. I am circumcised and I've never had any problem with it. When my son was born, I had no problem whatsoever signing the papers approving his circumcision. I'd never really thought about the issue of circumcision; it's been a non-issue for me over the years.

About the only conversations I'd ever had about the subject were with women who had said that they preferred circumcised partners for two main reasons: the appearance and the perceived cleanliness issue.

Though uncircumcised men are no less likely to practice good hygiene than circumcised men, once women hear the word "smegma", it all goes downhill from there. The word even sounds disgusting. Especially when it comes to oral sex, the women I've known have said they prefer a circumcised man. Irrational or not, this has been my general experience when talking with women.

Also, the idea of male circumcision being a barbaric practice is not something I'd come across until very recently. For several years now, I've heard of female genital mutilation done in Africa and in Islamic countries, which I agree is a brutal thing. And I just don't think that routine male circumcision can even begin to compare to the female version.

For one thing, male circumcision is done in sterile conditions in approved medical facilities. And, rightly or wrongly, some believe there are health benefits to doing so, as inconclusive studies indicate that circumcised men have lower rates of HIV and penile cancer.

Female circumcision, on the other hand, is frequently a "do it yourself" thing, done in unsanitary conditions by members of the girl's own family. There is commonly a high rate of infection and other lasting complications for these women. And the purpose is much less than altruistic: it is done expressly to destroy a woman's enjoyment of sex and to keep her chaste and faithful to her future husband.

So, while male circumcision may not be strictly medically necessary to be done on a routine basis, as it is currently done in the US, it cannot be considered a "barbaric practice", either. Unlike the countless Islamic women in Africa and the Middle East, I have not suffered in any way because I am circumcised.

Now, for the survey end of this entry.

Men:

Are you circumcised or uncircumcised? Are you pro, anti, or indifferent about male circumcision? Have any of your lovers over the years expressed their preferences to you? If so, how? If you are circumcised, has this ever created any sorts of problems for you? If you are uncircumcised, has this ever created any sorts of problems for you? For both, if so, how? Was your father circumcised or uncircumcised? Your brothers?

Women and Gay Men:

Do you prefer a circumcised or uncircumcised partner? Why? For those who have had more than one lover in their lifetimes, have you been with both circumcised and uncircumcised men? For those in monogamous, long term relationships, is your husband/lover/partner circumcised or uncircumcised? Are you happy, unhappy, or indifferent to it? Was your father circumcised or uncircumcised? Your brothers?

Parents:

If you have sons, are they circumcised or uncircumcised? Why did you make the choice you did? If you don't have children yet, but plan to, will you have circumcised any sons born to you? Why or why not?

Thoughts?

No comments: