Sunday, December 11, 2005

Quotes and Commentary 3


I'm not feeling particularly chatty today, so readers will be seeing yet another selection of quotes and comments.

In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these.
-- Paul Harvey


In other words, there's nothing new under the sun. Or, as Harry Truman once put it, there's only the history you don't know yet.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
-- Floyd Dell


I am a human being. I am not a human doing.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
-- (unknown)


This pretty well sums up my entry "Cool?" from several days ago. If you take care of the things of substance, the image takes care of itself. And, as others don't pay our bills for us, nor can we please everyone, we sleep better at night when we've pleased ourselves first.

We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done.
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Don't judge a book by its cover; never underestimate others.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't.
-- Anatole France


The beginning of maturity for me was when I realized just how much I didn't know and that my father wasn't so stupid, after all.

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.
-- Thomas H. Huxley


For any progress to be made, one must be able to think outside the box, to question the sacred cows that say "That's the way we've always done it", so as to be able to think of new ways of doing things.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.
-- Abraham Lincoln


I'll fuck to that!

No comments: