Thursday, March 16, 2006

Disappointing Gifts

Like nearly all of my readers, I've gotten disappointing and inappropriate gifts over the years. What has changed since my childhood is how I react to getting such gifts.

I remember being about five years old and my mother's best friend gave me this garish pillow in the shape of a clown's head for my birthday. I hated it the minute I opened the box and my facial expression clearly showed my displeasure. I'd never liked clowns and this clown pillow made of several bright colors was especially repulsive to me.

I don't remember what I said, but I know I verbally expressed my disdain for my gift. I do remember my mother taking me aside and telling me it was rude to react this way; that I might hurt the giver's feelings. She said I should always thank the person nicely for whatever gift I got simply because they meant well, even if I would do no more with it than stuff it in the back of my closet.

A couple of years later, my birthday party was held at my aunt's house, and my aunt had made a chocolate cake with chocolate icing for me. Then, as now, I despise chocolate cake, as I've always preferred white cake with white icing.

My mother, knowing that I hated chocolate cake and knowing my propensity to being brutally frank, gave me a look warning me not to express my true opinion of the cake. So, I thanked my aunt for the cake, though I don't know how convincing I was.

I've gotten better at this over the years. My sister has absolutely no clue as to my taste, so her gifts to me are always, without exception, clunkers. She also apparently thinks I stopped getting older once I turned sixteen or so, as most of the gifts she gives me would be appropriate for a teenager.

I've tried to get her to stop giving me gifts at all, because she really can't afford it; I tell her that a card is more than sufficient, but, still, the turkey gifts come. Now, I simply pass the gifts on to more appropriate recipients or I end up giving them to the Goodwill. Because she doesn't live near me, I don't have to deal with questions as to why I haven't worn the clothing she's given me or otherwise used her gifts.

Let's hear some of your disappointing gift stories.

No comments: