Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Sunday Night Blues

As a kid, during the school year, I would always get this feeling of dread late on Sunday afternoons as the weekend was coming to a close, thinking of having to go to school the next day. I called it the "Sunday Night Blues", and it happened every Sunday night without fail, unless there was something to look forward to at school, which was a rarity.

Now, as an adult, I still get this same feeling when I know I've got to go back to work the next day, except the feeling of impending doom is worse now, as I hate my job much more than I ever hated school.

The main reason for this feeling as a kid was hating to get up early and giving up so many of my waking hours and privacy to doing things I didn't want to do. Now, as an adult, though I don't have to get up early for work, I still hate giving up so much of my time and my privacy. And I have the added reason of totally hating what I have to do for a living.

Do any of you get the "Sunday Night Blues"?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh yes, I still get the Sunday Night Blues, still on Sunday evenings, but it's not as bad as when I was kid.

I remember watching the Disney movie on Sunday nights and hating to watch it, knowing bedtime would be afterwards and then school on Monday morning!

Patty said...

That's amazing, I even had this back when I was a kid. Even as I grew, it stuck with me. There is something about a Sunday evening coming to a close that is so melancholy.

I use to think it was from the week-ends I would spend at my Grandmother's. Back then on Sunday evenings, she lived in a very small town, Route 127 went through it, but on Sunday evenings there just didn't seem to be much traffic. Everything seemed to quiet down, nothing happening, sun going down, neighborhood was extra quiet. Even if someone was mowing, it was just the swishing sounds that a push mower made.

Back then people just DID NOT mow on Sundays. In fact a lot of stores weren't open, but then they only had two small grocery's and a gas station in that town. One store was open on Sundays to catch people coming from the different churches around. But still Sunday evenings were QUIET.

When our kids came along, we always watched the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday evenings. Still once they were all in bed, that feeling would come over me.

I knew the next morning was the start of another hetic week, getting four kids off to school, packing their lunches and having their clothes ready, plus a husband that would be leaving for work, and his lunch had to be packed, and I also always made sure his clothes were ready.

Now I don't get that feeling too often. Once in a while. But I suppose part of it is the fact, that it doesn't matter about the start of a new week, once you retire one day is almost like any other day.

Anonymous said...

Looks like family here.

I used to hate Sunday nights because I had to go to work onMonday to Engineering and later to teach as in teacher. I hated the work but mostly the people in charge and couldn't wait till Friday came around again.

Now, however, I don't mind at all. I like one day almost as much as another and sometimes forget what day it is.