Friday, April 21, 2006

A Friday Ramble


It's an overcast Friday, I'm feeling a little "off", as if I'm coming down with something, and I had odd sleeping patterns again last night. I went to sleep normally, but then snapped awake at 7 am. Fortunately, I was able to fall back asleep before too long, and slept until nearly one. But I'm still feeling sleepy, not rested, so this will be of necessity a post of rambling thoughts.

As I was riding home last night, I was listening to a talk show and a caller mentioned how her husband was having a hard time getting a job in the field he'd gone to school for because of his credit rating.

I don't get it. It would seem to me that someone who's having trouble paying their bills would especially need a job and be more motivated to be a good worker and keep that job in order to get the bad credit monkey off their back. What purpose does it serve for employers to punish such people and to keep them from paying their bills and improving their credit rating? It's not as if the person owes money to the company they want to work for. In my book, this is a private matter that shouldn't be a factor in the hiring process.
_______________________

Last night before I went to bed, I thought of a topic to write about, but when I woke up a little while ago, I couldn't remember it for love nor money. I was going to write about how I needed to write down good ideas immediately to make sure I didn't lose them. However, I was browsing blogs as I usually do before writing my own post, and I found a comment on another blog about an unrelated topic that jogged my memory.

I've always wondered what other people visualize when they think of the concept of "heaven". Let's just assume that there is some sort of afterlife where our consciousness lives on in whatever fashion. As a kid, I had the picture of everyone wearing these ethereal looking robes and of being in the clouds. I used to have this recurring dream about being a soul living in heaven. There was a large building with a terrace all the way around it with a wall topped with a railing at the boudaries of the terrace, which was perpetually shrouded in fog. Robe-wearing residents of heaven would gather on the terrace and lean over the railing looking down through the clouds at their relatives on Earth. In these dreams, I was always a child, and I even remember there being a school there, with a similarly fog shrouded playground.

What were some of your concepts of heaven as a child?

No comments: