Sunday, April 16, 2006

More Commercials I Love to Hate


There are two more commercials on my current "love to hate" list.

One is the Pizza Hut ad about getting five more pizzas after the first one for five bucks each, where the guy tells the customers, "Fivespot", "Fivarino", "Fivus Maximus", etc, ad nauseum. It is asinine to the point where I can't see how the actor kept a straight face saying all this nonsense.

The other is an ad for Hardee's, which shows two scruffy construction workers eating their lunches inside a pickup truck. Throughout the commercial, one hears loud smacking and slurping, which is enough to kill the appetite right there. Finally, one guy asks the other if he's going to eat his "cheese paper"; that is, the paper the burger came wrapped in, which now has bits of melted cheese stuck to it. I don't know about you, but this commercial is more of a diet aid to me, rather than an appetite enhancer.

In my last post about obnoxious advertisements, a few people mentioned that it's the local "homemade" commercials that annoy them most, particularly ads for car dealerships with yelling salesmen. That made me remember a series of ads from the 70s for a store selling men's suits: Krass Brothers. Anyone living in the Philadelphia area at that time will agree with me when I say that this store was aptly named, as the ads for it were just that, crass.

The signature ad for Krass Brothers was "If you didn't buy your suit from Krass Brothers, you were robbed!" But my "favorite" KB commercial had to be the one where a guy sitting in a coffin bellows, "I wouldn't be caught dead in anything but a Krass Brothers suit!"

I googled "Krass Brothers" and below is a photo of him in the coffin:


No comments: