Monday, April 10, 2006

Striking Out


Since I first became sexually active in the mid-1970s, I've had several hundred lovers altogether, though I cannot tell you the precise number. I've had a high percentage of success with women over the years, needless to say, for whatever reason.

But, like every other heterosexual man on the planet, I've had my share of rejections as well. One cannot please everyone, and there have been a few I've failed to seduce, let alone please. Everyone strikes out now and then, and I am no different in that respect.

Most of the times I've bombed out with women happened many years ago. Gaining experience over the years, I've learned to better read the signals that women send out as to their availability and receptivity to my overtures, I've learned to give the unlikely prospects a pass, thus increasing my chances of a successful seduction.

Early on in my sexual career, I wasn't quite so honest as I am today about my commitment to sexual freedom, and I gained a notoriety as a love 'em and leave 'em kind of a guy.
Thus, several young women who knew of my reputation wouldn't let me within ten miles of them. There were those, who initially seemed as if they'd be receptive to me, who turned cold as soon as their friends clued them in to my reputation. It was from the experience of some of these blown seductions in my youth that I learned I had to be honest with potential lovers about my libertinism.

And there were those attempted seductions that were doomed to failure from the very beginning. I remember as a college freshman, trying to seduce a pious fundamentalist girl who lived in my apartment complex. Though she was pretty enough in a saccharine, wholesome way, she really wasn't my type. I saw her simply as a challenge, another notch on the bedpost. The fact that one of my roommates had bet me that I couldn't seduce her only made me want to do it all the more. I approached her, even attending her Bible study a time or two, all with the goal of seducing her. She'd heard of my reputation, but the poor girl took it upon herself to convert me, to bring a lost lamb back into the fold.

Feel free to roll your eyes heavenward at this point.

I was a bit more patient with her than I might have been otherwise, intent on my goal, but I arrogantly thought that she would give in at the end, like most others did. It didn't occur to me at that age that she might actually believe in all that "wait until marriage" crap her church was telling her.

Unfortunately, she was quite sincere and committed in her beliefs. When it finally dawned on her that I had no interest in being "saved", but that my only interest was to get into her pants, she shook me off like dust off her shoes. I learned a valuable lesson with that botched seduction, not to mention the 20 bucks I'd bet.

Some of my regular readers might remember me referring to another failed seduction in a previous post. This was also in college when my roommate and I had an impromptu party in our apartment with several other people.

The night started off well, with the liquor flowing freely and the girls being seductive. Two girls who shared an apartment joined our party and both were having a good time. I successfully seduced one of them, having a quick one with her in my bedroom as the others continued to party in the living room. When we were done, we rejoined the party, with us both essentially going our own way.

About an hour later, I thought I'd get her roommate into bed as well, but when I tried to do that, she not only turned me down, she got pissed off, knowing I'd already been with her roommate. The girl I'd been with already got mad too, and they both left in a huff. By this time, I was thoroughly drunk and I followed them out, calling out rude things as they walked down the steps. I even hurled my beer bottle at the one who'd turned me down, but as drunk as I was, I fortunately missed her.

I could give more examples, but I think you get the idea. Nowadays, having learned a few hard lessons, I've learned to choose my prospective lovers with more care, which has increased my success rate as the years have gone by.

Thoughts?

No comments: