Thursday, December 28, 2006

Quotes and Thoughts


"Your thorns are the best part of you."
--Marianne Moore


I've been told this many times by women. Of course, I know that is part of this is due to the "bad boy" fetish many women have.

"I'm single because I was born that way."
--Mae West


Being a free agent is natural to humans. It's marriage that's unnatural and artificial.


"We find comfort among those who agree with us; growth among those who don't."
--Frank A. Clark

This is probably the main reason why I listen to talk shows where I agree with little of what is said. It helps to sharpen my thinking much more than listening to something that is simply "preaching to the choir". Though I'm reassured by those who agree with me, I'm grateful for the challenge from those who don't.

"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties."
--Erich Fromm

Certainty involves black and white thinking, yes/no answers, an all or nothing mindset. Mathematics involves certainty, but it is in no way creative. Creativity requires the ability to see nuances and to think in shades of grey.

No comments: