Sunday, July 15, 2007

Do As I Say, Not As I Do

David Vitter, a Republican senator from Louisiana, was recently outed as being a regular customer of the "DC Madam".

Why am I bothering to report something that I would normally classify as a person's private business, you might ask.

Hypocrisy.

Vitter, a socially conservative Christian, was a vocal critic of Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky, saying at the time that President Clinton was "morally unfit to govern" and that he should resign because of the "mess" he made.

Hmm. It seems what goes around, comes around. Karma's a bitch.

Vitter's wife, Wendy, had likewise criticized Hillary Clinton for choosing to remain with her husband after the Lewinsky issue: "I'm a lot more like Lorena Bobbitt than Hillary [Clinton]. If he does something like that, I'm walking away with one thing, and it's not alimony, trust me."

But it seems as if Mrs Vitter has done precisely what she criticized Mrs Clinton for doing several years ago. David Vitter, in an email to the Associated Press said, in part, "...I asked for and received forgiveness from God and my wife..."

I wonder if, in the last few days, they've even given a second's thought and felt the tiniest glimmer of regret for their judgmental, self-righteous attitude toward the Clintons.

Somehow, I sincerely doubt it.

No comments: