Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Looney Letter to the Editor

While reading the letters to the editor section of my local paper recently, I came upon a letter that was so ignorant as almost not to be believed. The letter writer was a name familiar to me; a woman who has been going around stirring up shit in my town for years. I first became aware of her over a year ago when she unsuccessfully led a campaign to drive a store that sells sexy lingerie and sex toys out of business.

This time, she decided to attack Harry Potter ..... a fictional character. Her letter reads:

America has given herself over to sorcery if the millions spent for Harry Potter indicate anything. Some think it’s just entertainment. The Bible issues stern warnings against sorcery: “Then will I come near to you for judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers and against the adulterers, against false swearers and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless…” (Malachi 3:5)

I believe God’s marking angels that have charge over each city are now marking those who groan over America’s gross sins. Judgment must soon follow and it has begun at God’s house.

Terrorists are here and marking cities also. But few are taking this seriously. Many are benumbed with Harry Potter or too busy screaming at President Bush, “Get out of the war!”

Our great opportunity in this window before the next attack is to repent. Jesus Christ, the only way to God, is still crying out: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Is anyone listening?


That's right -- terrorists attacked this country because Americans were reading Harry Potter! I've heard some conspiracy theories in my time, but this one takes the cake. This woman is as nutty as squirrel shit in my opinion.

But there is hope. The paper had a reply from what seems to be a teen reader of Harry Potter and also a Christian:

I am a Christian and I LOVE Harry Potter. Do I worship him? No! Do I believe it is all real? No! Get a life!!! It is a FICTIONAL story. For those too "ignorant" to know what that means..it means the story is NOT TRUE. It is MADE-UP. It is a FAIRY TALE. The "Rev" is the reason people are looking down on Christians. Concentrate your efforts on REAL problems and not made-up ones.

This young woman makes a good point in that rantings like the original letter do absolutely nothing for the cause of Christianity.

Thoughts?

No comments: