Wednesday, July 25, 2007

House Sounds

I own what I call a middle-aged house. It's not new, but it's not old enough to be considered a bona fide old house, having been built in 1968.

Like many homes, my house has its own individual creaky sounds. There are two that happen intermittently on a regular basis.

One is kind of a "squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak" sound that happens at a medium pace. It sounds like a little kid riding a tricycle that badly needs to be oiled. It only happens when it's windy outside, so I'm guessing it might be the TV antenna moving in the breeze. I can remember my son as a kid saying, "That kid is riding his tricycle again!" It's kind of a private joke between us.

Another sound is like someone playing a kettledrum at a fairly rapid pace, with a two-tone sound. It beats the hell out of me what's causing it. This sound isn't very loud and the house has to be quiet to even hear it at all because it's so subtle.

Every now and then at random times, I'll hear a BANG! somewhere in the house. I get up and investigate, but can never determine the source. Who the hell knows what's causing it.

What are some of your "house sounds?

No comments: