Thursday, July 26, 2007

New Type of Recurring Dream

I've written many times in the past about having recurring dreams. Sometimes the entire dream recurs, but much more often, it's only certain elements in the dream that recur, not the whole dream.

For years, I've dealt with a the same recurring elements: tornadoes, trains, having to move, traveling/being on a quest, dead relatives, and the Chrysler Building, to name a few.

I've got a new theme now. Cell phones. For the last year or so, I've had dreams where I cannot complete my calls when trying to use a cell phone. The problem is usually one of an unfamiliar keypad that keeps changing every time I pick it up. Many times, a fear of being late or taking a nap accompanies the cell phone dreams.

This afternoon, while taking a nap before work on the couch, I dreamed that I was....taking a nap before work! As I do in real life, I had my cell phone lying on the end table near the couch. I lived in a different house in the dream, but the basic elements were the same.

In the dream, as I do in real life, I woke up briefly several times to pick up the cell phone to see if it was time to get ready for work yet. But each time I picked it up it was a different phone, each showing a different time that I knew was totally wrong. I'd push buttons trying to get it to show the right time, but it never would. I picked up flip phones, camera phones, the straight, flat phones, and even one phone that looked exactly like a pack of cigarettes. There were black phones, silver phones, and one bright yellow phone.

Finally, I got tired of all the different phones giving me the wrong time, so I got up and went into the bedroom where I looked under the pillows for more cell phones.

I woke up for real before I resolved the problem in the dream.

I wonder what's making me dream of cell phones all of a sudden?

What are some of your recurring dream elements?

No comments: