Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Better Than I Thought

My son bought his first brand new car this week. As he had no real credit, good or bad, I was asked to co-sign for him.

I didn't expect the dealership to accept this, considering that my son now makes quite a bit more money than I do. Plus I had a bankruptcy in 1993 and since losing the best-paying job I ever had three years ago, I've been struggling along in a job that pays quite a bit less than what I was making before. I'm still paying off bills I incurred while I was working at that job and it's been a slow, tedious process.

To my surprise, they accepted the application with no trouble and my son got a good deal that should work well with his budget. When I told them of my misgivings, they said that I actually had a very good credit score -- 733. Not too shabby for someone who's been through the financial scrapes that I've been through in recent years.

Anyway, I'm happy to see him so tickled with his first brand new car. He did better than I did -- I didn't get my first new car until I was 42.

No comments: