Saturday, August 20, 2005

Saturday Tidbits

In the last week, I've noticed a flurry of commercials, on both radio and TV, from car dealerships. Unsurprisingly, I found out that right now is a great time to buy an SUV. In response to the dramatic spike in gas prices, dealers, probably all over the country, are offering great deals to unload all the SUVs they can. I wonder if the short term savings will be enough to convince buyers to take on the long term expense?

I also wonder if the automakers will respond to this by offering fewer SUV models in the next model year? Will we see more hybrids, like the Prius that John Sherck recently bought?
___________________________

Update

It seems as if the police car that crashed into a pole the other day that I reported in my Summer Cloudburst entry did not hydroplane, after all.

The officer was driving down the street before the storm began when a bee came in the window and went down his shirt. It appears that he crashed into the pole while trying to get it out of his shirt!

Reminds me of that officer twenty years ago who had a similar problem. However, he handled it by immediately stopping the car in the middle of the road, jumping out, ripping his shirt off and dancing all around the median strip while traffic flowed around him.

The current officer should have done what the previous officer did, as his method of insect removal only cost the city some embarassment, instead of a patrol car.

I recently found out that the officer from twenty years ago died earlier this year (not even sixty yet!) and I couldn't help but think that he was laughing his ass off from whatever afterlife might exist!

No comments: