Sunday, August 21, 2005

Random Thoughts

What do the two following things have in common?


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Answer in tomorrow's entry for those who didn't already guess.
_______________________

Name something you wish had never been invented.

The first thing that comes to my mind is "alarm clock".

What's the first thing that comes to yours?
_______________________

Ever notice that when you trip over a shoe in the dark while in bare feet, that you keep on tripping over it? That is, the shoe rolls over and over in front of your foot, instead of being pushed to the side.

Aggravating.
_______________________

Sometimes when another person speaks to us they are referring to one thing, when we think they mean another. Confusion ensues, but at the end, they make it clear what they actually meant.

In such cases, I'll frequently tell them what it was I thought they meant, simply as a way of explaining what confused me.

Invariably, however, the other person thinks that you still don't understand and they don't get that you are simply explaining the initial source of your confusion. And they explain it again! And don't understand when you simply say you were clarifying the original reason for confusion. Grrrrr.

Ever have this happen to you?
________________________

Reading Roundup

Fairly recently, I read the latest installment of Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series. When I mentioned to someone else that I thought it was a good story, but not racy enough, she recommended the Anita Blake series.

So I went to the used bookstore, where I found the first of this multi-volume set. After reading Guilty Pleasures, I thought it was OK, but not particularly sexy. I was then told that the books become more explicit as the series moves on. I went back to the bookstore and found Narcissus in Chains, which was indeed more explicit, both in sex and violence. But still kind of ho-hum plotwise. Now I'm on Cerulean Sins, which is beginning verrrrrrrry slowwwwwwly.

I've also been reading Eric Flint's time travel/alternate history series. I read 1632 ages ago, and I've made a start on 1633. The third volume, 1634 just came out in paperback, so I bought that and put it in the stack. I'm hoping these will move faster than the Anita Blake series.

No comments: