Sunday, December 16, 2007

Memories of Childhood Board Games

Every Christmas when I was a kid, I'd get board games as presents. Following is a trip through memory lane of some of the games I had.


1. Candy Land
This is one of the first games I ever got as a small child. I remember bugging my older siblings to play this with me, but it was usually my mother who would end up doing so.


2. Chutes and Ladders
Another early childhood game that my siblings hated to play with me.


3. Sorry!
This was one of my favorite games. Needless to say, I was NOT sorry when I'd knock someone's piece off the board -- I always took great glee in sending someone's piece back to "start". I always chose the green pieces to play with.


4. Parcheesi
Another favorite that was quite similar to Sorry.


5. Operation
I got a kick out of this game and would make the thing buzz on purpose sometimes.


6. Mouse Trap
One of the coolest games ever. With its rickety contraption that set a ball in a sequence of motions through an absurd maze that resulted in one's "mouse" being trapped, there was a lot to like about this game.


7. Crazy Clock
When I first got the idea for this game list, I remembered I had another contraption game similar to Mouse Trap, but couldn't remember the name. After a short bit of research, I found it. Instead of trapping a mouse, the sequence of events for this contraption had the result of catapulting a sleeper out of bed.


8. Clue
The classic murder mystery game


9. Life
I always liked this game pretty well and, as a kid, I liked that the board had 3D features (the bridges) and was not perfectly flat.


10. Monopoly
A game for all ages that I enjoyed playing. Of course, when I was a kid, all they had was the original game, based on the streets of Atlantic City, NJ, as none of the differently themed versions had yet come out.

Feel free to tell some of your favorite childhood games in the comment box.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Wow. What a trip down memory lane. I haven't seen Parcheesi in so long. Nice to see it again. My sister and I played that more than checkers, I think. Great classics you've listed. Although, I think I'm the last person on earth who has never played Clue.