Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentine Summary

Valentine's Day can be a logistical nightmare for those of us who are non-monogamous. Currently, I have eight regular lovers, though, admittedly, not all eight of these relationships are at the same level of intensity.

There wasn't any way I could have celebrated the holiday with all eight on Thursday and go to work as well. Well, I could have done it if I'd wanted to have an "eightsome"....a "ninesome" if you count me, but that would have taken more time and energy than I was willing to expend on a workday. And I don't think I could have persuaded them all to come together for such an event, anyway. They all know that I have other women all over town, but it's kind of a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of a thing.

I'm also not a rich man, so I couldn't be buying a bunch of expensive gifts. What I usually do each year is buy a dozen red roses and give them out singly, after wrapping each one in a red ribbon, along with a card. Because there were eight women this year, and not twelve, I gave out seven single roses, and the remaining five were for my primary lover.

I also took her out for lunch. She's a teacher, so I picked her up at the school and took her to a nearby restaurant for a quick lunch. Along with the roses and card, I also gave her a gift certificate for the local bookstore, as she said she'd much rather have something to read and keep, than the traditional box of candy. She didn't know what book she wanted, hence the certificate. (She's here with me now for the night, so I'll need to hurry up and finish this entry, then shut down the computer for the night.)

After I took her back to the school, I went and gave out the other roses in the evening when I was working. I'll no doubt go and visit each one over the next month or so to spend more time with them.

Valentine's Day is exhausting and I'm glad it's gone for another year.

3 comments:

LMC said...

That's sweet that you give them all flowers. I can't help but chuckle at the image of you franticly running around town trying to get them to everyone! Hope you get to rest up between visits!

Lola Gets said...

Wow, dating eight people at once - even Ive never managed that many - impressive!

L

Libertine said...

Well, they don't all get equal time. Some I see more than others -- some could be classified rather as "semi-regular".