Thursday, May 1, 2008

Don't They Have Anything Better to Do

When I think I've heard everything when it comes to certain politicians wanting to turn this country into a Nanny state, I hear something new to prove me wrong.

Lawmakers in the Florida Senate have proposed a measure that would ban fake bull testicles that dangle from the trailer hitches of some trucks and cars.

Republican Sen. Cary Bake called the adornments offensive and proposed the ban. Motorists would be fined $60 for displaying the novelty items, which are known by brand names like "Truck Nutz".

Are you kidding me? Are these legislators bored and have nothing more important to devote their attention to? Are we paying them to outlaw tacky trucks? Don't they think that the police have enough...and indeed, too many...laws to enforce already?

Personally, I've never seen a set of "Truck Nutz", But one of the female police officers I worked with had a set of fake boobs attached to the grille on the front of her personal car and I thought that was pretty funny. I'm guessing if she'd lived in Florida, these busybodies would want to ban those, too.

And though the truck owners who have these things hanging from their trucks are no doubt micro-penised weenies trying to compensate, it's a free country and if that's how they want to express themselves, they should have the right to do so.

Is it any wonder that our government is going down the tubes?

1 comment:

Intentional Fallacy said...

Legislation against Truck Nuts is underway in my state as well, where such things are very popular.

You said it best: It's a free country. Once we allow government to regulate the way we express ourselves, particularly ways that do not cause physical harm, there will probably be no end in sight. Policial correctness could be a good example of that.

It seems as though we have enough regulation, particularly of that which causes no physical harm, only the offense of someone's opinion or thin skin.

And as you also said, it also seems as though our politicians should have more important work to do.

I know who I won't be voting for.